Skin is the outermost cover of our body. However, when we mention skin, the first thing that comes to our mind is our facial skin and yes; we are much concerned about this especially if you have oily skin. Only a person with oily skin understands the pain in maintaining it. Nevertheless, a skin care routine for oily skin can be a savior for sure. Firstly, let us know the reason behind the oily skin.
Beneath our skin, there are certain glands that secret natural oil to keep our skin moisturized. These glands are known as sebaceous glands. Due to some reason, these glands secrete more oils than required. Consequently, it results in oily skin.
The reasons can be hereditary, hormonal changes, weather conditions or stress. Most of the factors are out of control and so, we cannot help controlling the secretion. Nevertheless, we can take proper care of the skin and keep it healthy.
Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin – The Daily Dose
Every skin type has different issues. On one hand, dry skin type poses the problems like itching and oily skin on the other have issues of sudden breakouts and acne. But, the Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin is somewhat different from other skin types.
It may sound difficult but regular care will reduce your anxiety with oily skin. Two specific times of the day, the morning and the evening are essential for your skin care. Therefore, whatever work you might have please make some time for this.
Here are a few daily skin care options that will help you out definitely.
It is undoubtedly the first and foremost thing in your skin care routine. You have to do this daily skin care routine at home at least twice a day.
- Morning Routine
Perhaps you have noticed that your T-zone accumulates a certain amount of oil in the morning. Therefore, in the morning we recommend using a gentle foam-based cleanser that helps to remove the excess oil from the oily skin. These specific cleansers also work by removing impurities and dirt and thereby clear your pores. In other words, the unclogged pores will prevent the breakout of acne and so, cleansing in the morning is very necessary.
There are many cleansers modulated especially for oily skin and you can pick one as per your skin type. Generally, grape and papaya-based face cleansers are good for unclogging your pores. You can include one of these in your morning skin care routine for oily skin.
- Evening Routine
Conversely, a light water-based cleanser is good to go as a part of your evening skin care routine for oily face. If you wear makeup, the oil in your skin may mix up with the makeup resulting in clogging of pores. Therefore, you must cleanse your face properly and remove the makeup residue from your face.
Even, if you don’t wear makeup, you need to clean your face. The reason is, in most cases, oily skin is more prone to acne. Never use an alcohol-based cleanser on oily skin. This will irritate your skin and enhance more unwanted eruptions on the face.
Toners for oily skin are like a magic potion to your skin. Certain toners work effectively to reduce oiliness as well as fight against acne and outbreaks.
- Morning Routine
Toning after cleansing is necessary if you have oily skin. You can use a gentle rose toner or an aloe vera toner as a part of your morning skin care. Toners help in pore unclogging and regulating skin pH. Consequently, you will have evenly toned and glowing skin without any oily residues.
Since most of us face the blazing sun in the morning, you can also opt for certain toner that prevents the UV rays that damage our skin.
- Evening Routine
In the case of evening toner, we prefer you to use one that helps in the hydration of the skin. In addition, you can select toners that have alpha-hydroxy acids (AHAs) and beta hydroxy acids (BHAs). These ingredients fight against acne and pigmentation also. Plum Green Tea Alcohol-Free Toner is one such toner that is very good for acne-prone oily skin.
If your main concern is oiliness and stickiness, you can opt for a light skin toner. In general, cucumber-based toners like Biotique Bio Cucumber Pore Tightening Toner or Lotus Herbals Basiltone Clarifying & Balancing Toner are best picks for oily skin.
Most of us believe in the myth that oily skin doesn’t require moisturizer. However, this completely wrong and you have to use moisturizer whatever skin type you have. Obviously, moisturizers differ as per skin type but, it is an unavoidable step in the skin care routine for oily skin.
- Morning Routine
Moisturizing your skin reduces sebum secretion to some extent. Many moisturizers are there that have a cream base and not suitable for oily skin. Therefore, if you are suffering from oily skin, we recommend you using a non-greasy oil-free moisturizer.
For example, Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer is very effective against oily and acne-prone skin. These kinds of moisturizers hydrate your skin on one hand and give a matt effect on the other hand. Moreover, they prevent clogging of pores preventing acne formation.
- Evening Routine
Moisturizing your skin in the evening as important as moisturizing in the morning; hence, select a lightweight gel-based moisturizer for your skin. For example, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel; this is indeed a good choice for oily skin.
This element of the skin care routine for oily skin is only for the daytime. Select the sunscreen very carefully. Most of the sunscreens are heavy. However, for oily skin, you have to select a lightweight sunscreen that also has antioxidants in it.
You must use sunscreens that preferably have zinc, vitamin C or caffeine. Sunscreens with these formulations impart a mattifying effect and a perfect base for makeup.
5. Eye cream
Sometimes, our skin around and under our eyes tend to become dark. The reason is this area is very sensitive. However, to remove the dark circles, you can use certain eye creams at nighttime only.
Eye creams containing caffeine as the main ingredients are highly effective against dark circles and puffy eyes.
Summer Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin
In countries like India, the weather is excessively humid and the summer season rules here for most of the months. We understand how the summer season is for a person with oily skin !!
However, there are certain Indian skin care routines by which you can keep the oily skin aside and concentrate on your daily chores. Daily skin care routines are the same for all weathers. However, for summer specifically, here are few effective tips for a skin care routine for oily skin.
- Cleanse your skin twice a day with a foam-based cleanser. You have to follow this step every day no matter what happens. Moreover, use lukewarm water to wash your face. It helps to remove the dirt that sticks to oily skin.
- Remove the upper layer of dead skin cells from your skin twice a week in the summers. However, you do not exfoliate more than 2-3 times. Otherwise, this may have a reverse effect on the skin as too much dryness is not good for the skin. Biotique Bio Papaya Revitalizing Tan Removal Scrub contains papaya, which is good for oily skin.
- Another important regime to follow in summer is using face packs once a week. You can make a face pack at home effectively to reduce the oiliness of your skin. Multani mitti or Fuller Earth has well-known effects on oily skin. Make a soothing mask with this and apply it to your face and neck. In addition, sandalwood also works well for oily skin. Both of these work by absorbing oil and removing harmful bacteria.
- Humid summers are repulsive and uncomfortable for all of us. Especially, when you have oily skin; the problem increases when your makeup starts mixing with the facial oil. Therefore, we recommend going for lighter make up in the summers. You can replace the heavy foundation with a light gel-based moisturizer like L’Oreal Paris Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Icy Gel. This will regulate sebum production. Additionally, it will give the matt finish that will be far better than an oily heavy makeup.
- Use blotting wipes in between face washes. Medicated sterile blotting wipes are available in the market. This will help you to reduce the oil to some extent. Generally, oil secretion increases in summer along with sweat. Therefore, try to carry a packet with you always for instant help.
- One major skin care routine for oily skin in summer is drinking water. There is nothing like water. It not only detoxifies our body but plays a huge role in regulating oily skin conditions. So, drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day as a natural skin care routine for oily skin.
- The summer season is not always soothing. If you eat too much rich and oily food, it will definitely affect your skin with more oiliness and acne. Hence, it is better to switch on food rich in vitamin A like green veggies and loads of hydrating fruits. It will give you healthy glowing skin without any outbreaks. Furthermore, it will make you feel light and healthy in the hot weather.
Natural Skin Care Routine for Oily Skin
Apart from products in the market, few home-based tactics work like magic on oily skin. These tactics are also a part of your daily skin care routine for glowing skin.
- Turmeric and gram flour mixture is very good oily skin. Gram flour absorbs a lot of oil while turmeric fights against the bacteria. You can use this as an effective homemade cleanser.
- The rule of using toners is after cleansing and before moisturizing. If you run out of your toner, you can make a homemade one with apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio of 2:1, 2 parts of vinegar to 1 part of water. Gently dab the mix onto your face with the help of a cotton ball.
- Exfoliation is required for oily skin. If you want to include exfoliation in your daily skin care routine at home, you can go for brown sugar and lemon mix. Do not take lemon in large amounts as this may affect your skin. Use this scrub on the face with circular motions. Another effective scrub is that of cucumber and walnut. These two are enemies for oil and can be included in the summer skin care routine for oily skin.
- Use a homemade face pack for oily skin. We have already mentioned about Multani mitti pack. Another important remedy for oily skin is the cucumber face pack. Grate a cucumber and apply the juice on the face with cotton balls. Once it dries, wash using lukewarm water. This will do wonders for your skin.
The ‘Do Not’ for Oily Skin
You should not be lethargic towards oily skin. Do not leave your makeup as it for the whole night just because you do not have the energy to do that. This is extremely dangerous for oily skin.
Moreover, do not skip your regular regime even for a single day. Even missing a single morning or evening routine can affect your skin.
Both these things are as important as drinking water or eating food. Therefore, make it a part of your life and eventually you will get accustomed to it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the best skin care routine for oily skin?
The best skin care routine for oily skin comprises of 4 main steps.
1. Cleanse your face with a light foam-based cleanser at least twice a day and after exercise.
2. Use a toner for oily skin to remove the leftover dirt and unclog your pores
3. Apply a lightweight moisturizer to hydrate your skin
4. Use a sunscreen that suits oily skin.
In addition to these essential steps, you can use an under-eye cream at night to reduce puffiness and dark circles.
How can I stop my skin from getting oily in the summer?
A summer skin care routine for oily skin is extremely essential. Therefore, these are few steps you have to follow regularly to stop your skin from getting oily.
1. Avoid using makeup in summer.
2. Wash your face with an oil-free cleanser two times a day.
3. Dab your face with an appropriate toner for oily skin right after cleansing.
4. Moisturizing is essential. You must use a water-based moisturizer twice a day.
5. In the morning, use sunscreen that has SPF and controls oils.
6. In the night, use an eye cream to pacify puffiness and reduce dark circles.
7. Additionally, carry a blotting wipe to blot your oil often in between washes
8. Drink optimum water, preferably, 8-10 glasses.
9. Avoid oil-based junk food and switch to green veggies, fruits and salads. This will keep you as well as your skin healthy throughout the summer.
Is Rose water good for oily skin?
Rose based products are must be included in the daily skin care routine for oily skin. Rose water has astringent properties and helps in skin hydration. A rose water toner is very effective against dirt removal and maintaining the natural pH of the skin.
Is cold water good for an oily face?
Cold water is not very appropriate for oily skin. The reason is too much cold water helps in pore tightening. Therefore, if your skin is oily and dirty, the bacteria are trapped inside the pores resulting in outbreaks. Lukewarm water is best for a skin care routine for oily skin. This prevents outbreaks as well as expands the pores to flush the oil and dirt out of the skin.
Does drinking water help oily skin?
Yes. Drinking water actually flushes out all the impurities and toxins of the blood. Therefore, hydration is very necessary. In addition, hydration makes the sebaceous gland less oily. So, the tendency of skin oiling is reduced considerably. 8-10 glasses of water is an incredible part daily skin care routine at home and work significantly on oily skin.
The Bottom Line
Skin care sometimes seems to be impossible. But, it is a habit. Once you start, you can always make time for it. We cannot control the oil secretion of our face since the factors like heredity and hormonal changes are not under our control. However, if we try, we can follow a proper skin care routine for oily skin.
It is very necessary to maintain a healthy skin condition with a proper healthy diet and drinking enough water. Daily skin care routine at home will of course change our skin for a better one. So, do not waste your valuable time and make out just 10-20 minutes twice a day and get the results in hand.