You enjoy basking in the sun or frolicking in the beach is your favorite pastime, right? Do you think that it is not that much necessary for your skin? If your answer is “YES”, you are making a huge blunder as your skin is going to suffer the serious repercussions of sun damage.
A sunscreen protects your skin against the damaging impact of UVA and UVB rays of sun. Skipping sunscreen will lead to premature ageing because UVA/ UVB rays break down collagen which in return increases fine lines, creases and gradually the skin loses its elasticity and firmness.
Exposing your skin to the sun without sunscreen will create sunspot, hyperpigmentation and sunburn. The scariest thing among all is that avoiding sunscreen can increase the potential risk of skin cancer.
Hence to safeguard your skin, the wisest thing you can do is wearing a sunscreen regularly. But girl, you will find tens of thousands of sunscreen in the market; all of them cannot provide you the desired result only some of them can.
Finding these effective sunscreens is not a straightforward task as there is a high chance that you may pick up the wrong one which will do more bad than good.
Therefore to keep your skin healthy, you have to choose the right sunscreen. Now don’t worry as we are going to provide you a list containing the best sunscreen lotions in India. But before that, let’s find out some necessary information regarding a sunscreen.
What is A Sunscreen?
Sunscreen is a skincare product that absorbs or reflects some of the sun’s damaging UV radiation which in return helps to fortify skin against sunburn or sun damage. Regular and systematic use of sunscreen slows down the process of ageing and formation of wrinkles and fine lines.
There are two types of sunscreen one is physical sunscreen i.e. titanium dioxide or zinc oxide which remains on the surface of the skin and deflects UV rays, the second is chemical sunscreen i.e. UV organic filters that mainly absorb UV rays.
Why is it Important To Use Sunscreen?
You must include a sunscreen in your routine as it is extremely beneficial for your skin. Some of its advantages are:
- It defends skin against sun damage by blocking the harmful UV rays. Always look for sunscreens that have at least SPF 30.
- Regular application of sunscreen cuts down the chances of getting skin cancer.
- The harmful UV rays are responsible for photoaging, collagen breaking that result in leathery look, fine lines, sagging skin and brown spots. Regular application of sunscreen decreases all these signs of premature ageing.
- Sunscreen resists hyperpigmentation, skin discoloration and brown spots. It helps to even out your overall skin tone.
How to Apply a Sunscreen
At first choose a sunscreen that has SPF 30 and then apply it to your skin 15-20 minutes before going outside into the sun. Always apply generous amount of sunscreen on your entire face and on those areas which generally remain exposed to the sun.
You have to reapply the sunscreen every two hours as within that period of time sunscreens usually wear off. Again you have to apply sunscreen immediately after swimming or sweating. However, you should not skip a sunscreen on rainy or cloudy days.
Some Important Things to Remember Before Choosing a Sunscreen
While choosing a sunscreen you have to be cautious. The points which you should remember before picking a sunscreen are:
- Before choosing a particular sunscreen you have to look for the ingredients that have been used in the sunscreen. If you find some harmful ingredients then maintain a distance from that sunscreen, one such ingredient is oxybenzone which can disturb the hormonal balance and may trigger allergies too.
- Always keep in mind the SPF factor, the higher the SPF, the more protection it can give against the UV rays. Try to use a sunscreen which has at least SPF 15, but if you are planning to spend long hours in the sun, go for SPF 30 or higher SPF.
- Choose a sunscreen that is sweat and water resistant which can give good protection while you are in water or while you are swimming.
- You have to choose a sunscreen depending on your skin type. If your skin is dry, you can choose cream based sunscreen but if your skin is oily and acne prone you have to choose gel or water-based sunscreen. And if you have normal skin, you may pick lotion, cream or gel based sunscreen.
Top 10 Best Sunscreen Lotions in India
Now without further dancing around the tit-bits of a sunscreen, let’s find out the best sunscreens in India:
1. Lotus Safe Sun Invisible Matte Gel Sunscreen (SPF 50)
While you put on a sunscreen, your skin becomes greasier and oilier, right? If you face this with a sunscreen, this sunscreen from Lotus will be the most appropriate choice for you as it is one of the best sunscreen in India for oily skin.
This formula is enriched with ingredients like horse chestnut, vanilla and comfrey. The antioxidant properties of horse chestnut protect skin against free radicals and prevent fine lines, creases and wrinkles. While vanilla extract provides smooth and soft finish, comfrey extract helps to hydrate and moisturize skin.
This matte gel formula gets absorbed immediately, controls excessive sebum secretion and leaves skin smooth and replenished. Besides it corrects your tone and helps to reduce the appearances of hyperpigmentation, dark spots and brown spots.
It also heals sunburn and soothes irritation and inflammation of skin. Systematic use of this matte gel can give relief from sagging and drooping skin and will proffer you a firm and flexible skin.
- Leaves skin soft, smooth and replenished.
- Infused with active ingredients such as horse chestnut, vanilla and comfrey.
- Evens out skin tone.
- Regular application helps to reduce the appearances of fine lines, wrinkles and creases.
- Skin becomes firm and flexible.
- Provides broad spectrum protection from UVA and UVB rays.
- Nothing Special
2. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock (SPF 50)
This sunscreen is considered as the best sunscreen recommended by dermatologists in India. Being extremely effective, this sunscreen beautifully eliminates sun damage.
This unique formula comes with Helioplex technology that supplies powerful and effective protection against sun damage. When the active ingredients of a sunscreen get exposed to sun, they break down and lose efficacy but this sunscreen with Helioplex Technology becomes stable and as a result does not lose its effectiveness.
It also provides broad-spectrum protection against UVA and UVB rays. This Dry touch technology feels weightless on skin and provides a non-shiny finish. As it provides superior balanced protection against UV rays, it helps to decreases the appearances of fine lines and wrinkles.
The oat kernel extract within it diminishes the appearance of pores, tightens skin and skin feels refreshed and rejuvenated. Moreover, being non-comedogenic it does not clog your pores and your skin can breathe freely.
- Contains active ingredients such as oat kernel extract.
- Comes with Helioplex technology that provides effective broad spectrum protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
- Apart from lending sun protection, it nourishes skin.
- Leaves skin ultra-soft and smooth and skin does not become shiny.
- Non-comedogenic and oil-free.
- Dermatologist tested.
3. StBotanica Vitamin-C Sunscreen (SPF 30)
If you are in search of a sunscreen that is extremely effective, you should bring this sunscreen from StBotanica which is one of the best sunscreen for women in India.
This is stuffed with antioxidants such as Vitamin C, E, and B3 which safeguard skin against sun damage and reduces the appearances of fine lines and dullness. It also contains active ingredients like saffron, turmeric, licorice, tamarind, sandalwood, rose, and amla.
Besides providing broad-spectrum protection, it improves the overall tone and texture of skin and increases the firmness and flexibility of skin.
- Is stuffed with natural and active ingredients.
- The antioxidant-rich formula gives protection against sun damage and abolishes dullness.
- Furnishes powerful yet lightweight sun protection.
- Free from silicones, sulphates, parabens, mineral oil and phthalates.
- May not suitable for combination skin
4. Greenberry Organics Sunscreen Spray Lotion (SPF 40)
Your skin is excessively dry and parched because of which you always shy away from applying a sunscreen, right? Then, girl, this pick is for you as this is one of the best sunscreens in India for dry skin.
As ingredients, it is infused with jojoba oil, argan oil and shea butter. Jojoba oil is enriched with vitamins and minerals including Vitamin C, B, E, copper and zinc that on the one hand protect skin and on the other hand, nourish skin and promote cell regeneration.
The intense moisturizing properties of Argan oil hydrate skin and cut down the appearances of premature ageing. Another ingredient Shea butter not only hydrates skin intensively but also captures skin’s ageing process. This natural and organic sunscreen eliminates 98% of harmful UVA and UVB rays, nourishes and moisturizes skin intensely.
- PA+++ rated for broad-spectrum sun protection and contains the certified sunscreen agent SUN CAT DE.
- Infused with ingredients like olive oil, jojoba oil, argan oil and shea butter.
- Natural and organic ingredients.
- Nourishes and moisturizes skin.
- Does not contain any harmful chemicals.
- May not suitable for oily skin.
5. Biotique Bio Sandalwood Sunscreen (SPF 50)
Biotique has become one of the leading cosmetic brands in India and its sunscreen can also be considered as one of the best sunscreen for women in India.
It consists of ingredients like pure sandalwood, honey, saffron, wheat germ oil, bark of arjun tree, Lodha and sunflower oil. Sandalwood within it helps to remove suntan and having anti-inflammatory properties it soothes irritation and inflammation.
Honey keeps skin nourished and moisturized. Loaded with antioxidants wheat germ oil not only fights against free radicals but it also banishes the appearances of wrinkles and fine lines.
Saffron, another ingredient protects skin against UV radiation and heals sunburn. It also corrects tone by eliminating hyperpigmentation and dark spots. Arjun tree bark helps to resist the process of ageing, besides it also keeps skin firmed and flexible.
- Soothes skin and provides effective sun protection.
- Water resistant and retains SPF after 80 minutes in the water.
- Contains 100% natural ingredients.
- Free from alcohol, parabens and other harmful chemicals.
- Not suitable for oily skin.
6. Kaya Clinic Youth Protect Sunscreen (SPF 50)
Does your skin show any premature signs of ageing? Does your skin always look dull and dehydrated? Then this sunscreen from Kaya clinic is ideal for you and it is one of the best sunscreen creams in India.
Being a broad-spectrum sunscreen it effectively protects skin against UVA and UVB rays. Enriched with Geranium it not only defends skin against sun damage but it also reduces the signs of ageing.
Additionally, it increases the firmness and elasticity of skin. The minerals like zinc and copper increases the production of elastin and supports the skin structure from underneath.
- A broad spectrum sunscreen safeguards skin against UVA and UVB rays.
- Augments the elasticity and firmness of skin.
- Lightweight and non-greasy.
- Boosts the process of cell renewal.
- Slightly thick in consistency.
7. Plum Green Tea Daylight Sunscreen Gel (SPF 35)
This pick is for those who have oily acne-prone skin as it is one of the best sunscreens recommended by dermatologists in India for oily skin.
Infused with ingredients like green tea and calendula extracts it, on the one hand, fights acne-causing bacteria and on the other hand, calms down irritated skin before going under the sun. Niacinamide within it helps to improve the cell regeneration process and protects skin from stress, pollution and other toxins.
- Provides intense protection against harmful UV rays.
- Enriched with antioxidant green tea, soothing calendula extract and niacinamide.
- Brightens the overall texture.
- Prevents breakout.
- Free from mineral oil, parabens, SLS, SLES.
- Lightweight and non-comedogenic.
- Nothing Special
8. Mamaearth HydraGel Indian Sunscreen (SPF 50)
This sunscreen from Mamaearth is designed especially for Indian skin. It fortifies skin against the damaging impact of sun providing broad-spectrum protection, besides it nourishes skin with the goodness of aloe vera and raspberry.
Moreover, it rejuvenates skin and keeps fine lines and wrinkles at bay. The gel-based formula soothes, nourishes and hydrates skin in an instant.
- Furnishes broad spectrum sun protection.
- Contains aloe and raspberry to soothe and hydrate skin.
- Lightweight, non-sticky and non-greasy.
- Free from parabens, SLS, petroleum, artificial preservatives and colors.
- Not suitable for oily skin.
9. VLCC De Tan Sunscreen Gel Crème (SPF 50)
This pick from VLCC is considered as one of the best sunscreens for women in India which will proffer powerful protection against the sun.
This unique formula contains cucumber, aloe vera, saxifrage extract, and carrot which collectively hydrate skin, rejuvenate skin, protect skin against sun damage, brighten the overall complexion and help to reduce the appearances of dark spots and blemishes.
- Provides a powerful de-tanning action.
- Brightens skin tone.
- Helps to erase dark spots and blemishes.
- Protects skin successfully from UVA and UVB rays.
- Nothing special
10. RE’ EQUIL Oxybenzone and OMC Free Sunscreen (SPF 50)
Girl, if your skin is reactive, sensitive and acne-prone, you are going to fall for this sunscreen which is one of the best sunscreen lotions in India.
Oxybenzone and Octyl methoxycinnamate are chemicals that penetrate deep into the skin and trigger allergic reactions, hormonal imbalance and skin sensitivity. This sunscreen free from those chemicals is actually a low penetration lotion that provides 6 hours long sun protection.
- Has advanced UVA, UVB filters for low penetration.
- Oxybenzone and OMC free formulation.
- Nothing special
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much SPF do I need?
As you live in a tropical country you need a sunscreen that has higher SPF. However, dermatologists always suggest that you should always pick a sunscreen that has at least SPF 30 which can block 97% of sun’s UVA and UVB rays. The higher the SPF, the better the sunscreen works.
How often should I apply a sunscreen?
If you always remain indoors you may apply a sunscreen once. But if you always frolic around in the sun, then you have to reapply your sunscreen in every two hours. After swimming or if you sweat excessively you have to apply sunscreen immediately.
You May Also Like:
- Top 7 Best Makeup Removers in India For All Skin Types
- 8 Nail Polish Colors That Every Woman Should Have
- 10 Best Eye Creams for Dark Circles in India (That Actually Work!)
- Top 10 Best Smudge Proof Kajals in India
A sunscreen blocks harmful UV rays which can damage your skin badly. If you skip applying a sunscreen, your skin is going to experience the worst of it. There are multiple adverse symptoms through which your skin has to go. Therefore adding a sunscreen in your beauty routine is a must.
Choose any one from the above list which contains the best sunscreens lotions in India and you don’t have to fear Mr. Sun.