Sunscreen is a daily essential of life. If you don’t use it enough or incorrectly, it harms and discomforts you in several ways.
Exposure to the sun without applying Sunscreen leads to wrinkles, sagging, and many worsening diseases like skin cancer.
According to many skin professionals, people don’t go through the description behind the bottle to apply sunscreen. They also say people should stop using expired sunscreen as it leads to harmful skin diseases.
We always mention the importance of sunscreen, but hardly know how to apply it! If questioning? how to apply sunscreen the right way? Here you go then. In this article, we would let you know and clear all you question regarding sunscreen, and it’s usage.
Difference Between Sunblock & Sunscreen
They both perform the same action in a slightly different way.
Sunblock uses minerals to absorb the harmful UV rays – and it starts acting the instant you apply it.
On the other hand, Sunscreen is a chemical-based formula. It needs to be applied 10 min before going out to let it absorb and sink into the skin.
You can prefer using both sunblock or sunscreen. As both of these rated at SPF 30 gives the same level of UV protection.
Eventually, there is no better product between the two. Use the one which suits you in your daily life.
- Sunscreen is safer and protects you from harmful diseases. Follow this suggestion from the dermatologists for better results – Buy a sunscreen containing an SPF of 30 or above, water-resistant, which gives a broad spectrum coverage. It helps to protect you from both UV and UVA rays.
- Apply sunscreen when moving outdoors– Give yourself 10 minutes for your skin to absorb the applied sunscreen to protect you from UV rays.
- Apply a thick layer of sunscreen – Most adults need about an ounce — or enough of it to fill in their entire body.
- Apply Sunscreen to all your skin parts – Starting by applying it to the neck, face, ears, feet, and legs. Areas that are hard to apply! ask someone to help you out. Lips also should be protected with an SPF 15 lip balm for better protection.
- For better protection? Apply sunscreen every two hours, instantly after swimming or sweating – People who are more prone to sunburn are not likely to use enough sunscreen. Point to note! Your skin is on exposure to UV rays every moment you step outside. It happens even on cloudy days or in winter.
Important Facts About Sunscreen
- Broad Spectrum Sunscreen is the Ideal
Two types of Sun Radiation are present:
- Ultraviolet A (UVA) Rays: Causes skin problems and premature aging issues
- Ultraviolet B (UVB) Rays: Highly Risky: Causes Sunburns
Exposure to both types of rays leads to life-risking skin cancer. Sunscreens tagged as “Broad Spectrum” protect you from both the affected rays.
2. Get Sunscreen with a minimum of (SPF30)
A sunscreen factor (SPF) refers to the protection the product offers acting against UV rays. Sunscreen with SPF 30 block the highest percent Of UV rays.
3. No sunscreen is manufactured waterproof or Sweat Proof
Manufacturers don’t promote products as waterproof or sweatproof. Rather! products get tagged as:
- Water Resistant: Water-resistant up to 40 minutes
- Very Water Resistant: Water-resistant up to 80 minutes
4. Underage children up to 6 months should not apply sunscreen
The AAD advises parents to keep their infants under shade as much as possible. Babies’ skin more sensitive compared to adults.
You need to take care of the hydration and protecting them with clothing against UV Rays.
5. Sunscreen is the only resources to be protected against UV Rays
There are several ways to be protected from UV radiation. You can use sunscreen with protective clothing. Avoid going out and be in shade when the sun is most intense.
6. You can determine the quantity of sunscreen by the use of the “Teaspoon or Shot Glass Rule”
The above-mentioned rule states: to use one teaspoon of sunscreen or a shot fill glass approx – one ounce to cover all the exposed area of the body.
7. Sunscreen Expires
All sunscreen lasts up to 3 years. The expired term gets specified on the label. Changes in the color indicate that it is time to dump the product.
8. Spraying sunscreens are convenient – but less effective
Individual who seek to use spray-on sunscreen needs to make sure to use enough amount of it. Also, try to rub it on the exposed skin after spraying.
9. Sunscreens are safe and reliable
Sunscreens get recommended by all health care professionals.
How to Apply Sunscreen (Step-By-Step)
Here is the step-by-step guide on how to apply sunscreen.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Shake it well
Shake the container well before using it to spread and mix up the particles clogged up in the container.
Lay it on thick
Apply a teaspoon of sunscreen 30 SPF for your face. And 2 ounces for your body. Make sure to apply enough with a thick layer covering all your body.
Dot sunscreen directly onto your face
This method helps absorption faster and evenly.
Put sunscreen and then follow it up with moisturizer
Best to apply if you have clean dry skin.
For immediate protection? Have sunscreen containing Zinc Oxide
Zinc and titanium dioxide works efficiently. They both have instant sun-blocking properties.
Reapply every sunscreen every 90 minutes
Sunscreen becomes unstable as time passes. Make sure to reapply after a certain period for better protection.
What to look at When You Buy a Sunscreen
- Pick a Broad-spectrum sunscreen for advanced protection.
- Look for waterproof sunscreen if your daily activity contains swimming or sweating.
- People, who are sensitive? Should not buy sunscreen containing para-aminobenzoic acid.
- Try different sunscreens if you are sensitive to the current product. Try to experiment until you find your perfect suitable match.
- People with oily skin should buy water-based sunscreen.
- Be aware! Expensive is not the only better. A costly brand can also turn out cheap and harsh to your body.
- Be aware of the expiry date.
Benefits of Using Sunscreen
- Protects From Skin Cancer
- Sunburn protection.
- Protects from inflammation and Redness.
- Protect from Wrinkles and fine lines.
- Prevents DNA damage.
- How to Apply Lipstick Perfectly – 5 Easy Steps
- Top 10 Best Sunscreen Lotions in India
- 10 Health Benefits of Eating Pineapple For a Woman
- Best Matrix Hair Care Products: Top 10 in Our List
How to apply sunscreen? I think we have enlisted all doubts and queries regarding sunscreen. If any doubts? You can mention them down in the comment section. We would surely reach you.