Have you ever observed how most of our grandmothers have really nice, shiny hair that goes up to their knees? It’s funny how we make triple the effort but can’t manage to keep at least half of what they have in their 70s and 80s. Mostly the reason for this is the fact that they used mostly natural and organic substances to clean, nourish and condition their hair.
Today, we will be discussing the benefits of Multani mitti for hair and how the simple organic compound can help you achieve your dream hair. I know most of us have been using chemicals to reach our hair goals and many of us have recently made the switch to organic products. Well, it’s now time to fall back to nature for amazing hair.
I can vouch that good old Multani mitti can give you an amazing changeover and you can just magically solve most of your hair problems with continuous use. Also known as ‘fuller earth’, it works wonders on major skin problems and hair problems. So, let’s go over the benefits of the magical clay from the land of Multan in Pakistan and marvel over the fascinating gift of nature.
Multani Mitti – An Overview
Multani Mitti is mud of sedimentary nature that is found in the mineral-rich area of Multan, which is now in Pakistan. The clay, which was earlier used in its natural state by the people, is now processed to its dust form and is packed and sold for use across the subcontinent. It is known for its cleaning and conditioning properties and is very popular for treating skin and hair problems with excellent results. So, let’s dive in without any further ado.
Benefits of Multani Mitti for hair
Multani mitti is widely known for its cleansing and restorative properties. Although more popular for its facial application, the benefits of Multani mitti for hair are uncountable. Regular use can give you a chance at your desired hair goal of shiny, healthy, dandruff-free hair without fail. Let’s try to encapsulate some of the major benefits to convince you to try it on your hair:
1. It Stimulates The Nerves for Better Blood Circulation
Multani mitti is rich in minerals and its direct application on the scalp stimulates the active hair follicles by bringing about an improvement in the circulation of blood.
That is one of the great benefits of Multani mitti for hair, as due to the circulation, a considerable increase in new baby hair growth is observed with continuous use.
2. Gets Rid Of The Ill Effects Of The Chemical Use On Hair
One of the greatest benefits of Multani mitti for hair is that its healing and restorative properties help the hair get rid of the chemical damages that our hair suffers. Our hair is subject to a lot of pollution and the ill effects of hard water in our daily life. To top it all, we have all been guilty of using harsh chemical shampoos, oils and other treatments on our hair which makes it dull, frizzy and breakable. Multani mitti can reverse the chemical effects by washing out the harshness and deeply nourishing the hair, from the tip of the strand to its root.
3. Removes Dandruff
For the people suffering from dandruff, Multani mitti acts as a blessing. Due to its characteristic cleaning property, Multani mitti gets rid of clogged pores due to dirt or excess oil on the scalp. At the same time, it conditions the hair so there is no scope for flaky dandruff on the scalp. Here lie the benefits of Multani mitti for hair, you never have to worry about dirt or dandruff.
4. Acts as The Most Amazing Conditioner
If you are a curl girl and have been looking for a natural conditioner to flaunt your luscious curls, then look no more. Multani mitti can be your friend for a lifetime. It deeply nourishes the scalp so that there is absolutely no frizz. It gets rid of split-ends and restores the health of the hair.
5. Purifies the Scalp
Multani mitti, with its healing and anti-microbial properties, help in getting rid of unwanted bacteria, fungi, yeast and other micro-organisms that deter hair scalp health. Other than preventing the build-up of dandruff, the benefits of Multani mitti for hair effectively maintain scalp health and the balance between the various components of hair.
6. The Best Hair Cleanser
The most stunning benefit of Multani mitti for hair is its amazing cleansing property. It cleans in such a way that the hair pores are not stripped of their nutrients so that there is a deep cleaning without altering the natural balance of the scalp. Thus, new hair follicles are stimulated but not disturbed. Therefore, with regular use, the benefits of Multani mitti for hair help one see a visible difference in hair volume and quality.
7. Gets Rid of Bad Hair Odour
During the sultry and humid summer days, the scalp sweats as much as the body. It leads to the hair roots being clogged by salt, sweat and toxins which results in a pungent smell coming out of the hair. Multani mitti helps in keeping the scalp fresh and gets rid of any such problems related to scalp and hair.
How to use Multani mitti for hair
Multani mitti is available in the form of loose powder in the market. It can be brought from big brands too, depending on your budget and preference. For hair, a hair pack is most widely used to get the optimum results of the benefits of Multani mitti for hair. So, depending on the problem factors, it can be used in combination with a number of easily available natural things.
a) Hair Pack for Overall Hair Health
Take a tablespoon full of unsweetened yogurt and add Vitamin E to it. Add a spoonful of dry-roasted curry leaves and blend it to dust. Add Multani mitti to it to make a thick paste. Add a few drops of coconut oil or any other oil of your choice (almond oil, amla oil, neem oil) and mix all of it well. Apply evenly and let it work its magic for 30 to 45 minutes.
- The yogurt and Multani mitti acts as natural cleansers and conditioners.
- The crushed curry leaves provide protection against pollutants and harmful UV rays of the sun.
- Vitamin E and coconut oil add texture to the hair and also nourish it.
- Use this pack once a week to derive maximum benefits of Multani mitti for hair.
b) Hair Pack to Get Rid of Dandruff
In order to yield the benefits of Multani mitti for hair dandruff, this hair pack has been seen to provide magical results. Make a paste of fresh aloe vera gel, unsweetened yogurt, half a lime or half a teaspoon of vinegar (apple cider). Add the Multani mitti powder to it and your anti-dandruff hair pack is good to go.
Apply the freshly made paste all over the scalp and massage from the root to the tip of the hair strands. Let it rest unless you feel the drying up of the paste on hair, when you should wash it off with lukewarm water and then shampoo the hair with some paraben-free and sulfate-free shampoo.
- The lime contains anti-fungal properties which make the scalp alkaline so micro-organisms that lead to dandruff are gotten rid of.
- The aloe vera gel is known for its conditioning properties.
- Multani mitti cleanses the scalp and helps in building a toxin-free, healthy scalp.
- Multani mitti also hydrates the scalp and moisturizes it so that there is no itching due to dandruff or a dry scalp in general.
- Use this treatment pack twice a week to get rid of stubborn dandruff.
c) Hair Pack for Shiny, Lustrous Hair
This slightly unconventional hair mask conditions the hair to give it the much-appreciated lustre that helps people wonder which parlor has provided that excellent service. Well, the recipe is totally at your fingertips now. So, let the others come to you for hair advice.
Mash a ripe banana with a fork, and add a bit of coconut oil to it to make it into a smooth paste. Take equal amounts of fenugreek seeds, curry leaves and neem leaves and dry roast them under sunlight or in a wok. Then crush them into a fine powder and add the powder to the paste of mashed bananas. Add a sprinkle of lime juice and add proportionate Multani mitti to make it into a thick paste.
Apply it on the scalp and along the hair strands and then wash it with lukewarm water and organic shampoo. Then wash the hair with plain cold water to close the pores and lock in the goodness of the treatment.
- Bananas are widely known for their properties of adding shine to the hair by providing nutrition to the keratins. It makes the hair super soft and shiny, and the black colour of the hair will reflect the health.
- Fenugreek seeds, being rich in protein, helps in hair growth, the proteins lent by them add on to the shine.
- Curry leaves are known for their UV protection capabilities and protection from pollutants.
- Neem leaves, very popular for their healing properties, helps in maintaining the health of the scalp and get rid of microbial infections, if any.
- The conditioning properties will add to the benefit of Multani mitti for hair and add the never seen before shine to it.
- Use this hair pack once a week to rope in the maximum benefits of the ingredients of the pack.
d) Hair Pack for Hair Growth
Add Multani mitti to a whole egg. Add some henna powder to it and a few drops of honey. Mix well till all the clumps in the paste are gone. Then add some vitamin E to it and massage the pack to the scalp in small clockwise circles. After massaging it into the scalp for 10-15 minutes, apply it to the hair strands and let it rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Then wash it off with water of a normal temperature.
Follow up with shampooing your hair with lukewarm water using an organic shampoo and rinse it with cold water to lock in the richness.
- The whole eggs provide the hair with protein.
- The honey in the pack provides the anti-microbial properties which are so necessary for a healthy scalp.
- Henna powder provides nutrition to the hair.
- Massaging with Multani mitti improves the blood circulation that promotes the growth of new hair.
- Vitamin E capsule nourishes the hair and strengthens the hair roots.
- This pack is amazing to grow new hair and strengthen the old ones by preventing breakage.
- This pack may be used once every two weeks for the best results.
Multani mitti can also be used as a shampoo and it’s seen to yield astounding results. Although this process of making the shampoo at home is a lengthy task, it is well worth your time since the along with the several benefits of Multani mitti on hair, it extracts maximum benefits of the other ingredients as well.
e) Multani Mitti as an Organic Shampoo
- Shika kai
- Neem leaves
- Curry leaves
- Warm water
- Spoonful of rice
Soak the Amla, Reetha and Shika kai in lukewarm water overnight. The next morning, mash the three in the water by hand. Get rid of the seeds and the peel of the skin. Make it into a smooth paste. Add grounded neem leaves or the juice of neem leaves oil into the mixture. The shampoo is ready, and it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Right before use, add the Multani mitti powder to it and shampoo the hair with lukewarm water.
Take another glass and pour water into it. Add the washed spoonful of rice to the water and give it a stir. Let it sit for 2 hours. After two hours drain the water from the rice and use it as a conditioner.
How does it work?
- Reetha, Amla and Shika kai are the inseparable trios for nourishing the hair while you are shampooing.
- The anti-microbial properties of neem prevent infections of any kind and prevent itching of the scalp.
- The Multani mitti removes dirt, dust, pollutants and toxins, and also helps in conditioning the hair.
- The Reetha, Amla and Shika kai are infamously known for making the hair dry, and the conditioning properties of Multani mitti help in hair texture to a great extent.
- The rice water for conditioning lends protein to the hair strands and makes the hair shiny, lustrous and well-nourished.
- This shampoo can be used every time there is a need for shampooing, and the rice water can be used as a conditioner up to a maximum of two times a week.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Although the use of Multani mitti can be traced back to times immemorial, its application on hair is recently observed to be trending amongst youngsters. Since it finds more application on skin as compared to hair, a lot of confusion arises regarding the benefits of Multani mitti on hair.
Does Multani mitti make the hair dry?
No, its conditioning properties keep the hair smooth. Although the cleansing properties of the magical clay absorb oil from the scalp leaving it dry, its limited use does not interfere with the dryness of the scalp.
How often can you use Multani mitti on hair?
In order to rope in the maximum benefits of Multani mitti for hair, use it up to three times in a week. Using more than that might do more harm than good.
Can Multani mitti be directly used on the scalp?
Yes, a paste of Multani mitti can be made with plain old water and applied to the scalp as a means to clean and condition hair effortlessly.
Can Multani mitti be used as a straightener?
Yes, if used with rice flour, it can act as a temporary hair straightener.
Does Multani mitti induce allergy?
Generally, Multani mitti is known for it anti-microbial and hydrating properties. But, since every individual body and skin type is different, it is always better if it is tested once is a small patch of skin before using it in the whole body or face or hair.
Multani mitti is one of the many gifts of nature that helps us enhance our beauty without going through lengthy, expensive chemical procedures. As amazing as the benefits of Multani mitti for hair, it also finds great application in the face where it helps in removing pimples, blackheads, and it is the secret to glowing skin and stunning hair. So, try it at home and feel the magic.
Table of Contents